Save Hard & Spend Smart Blog
Scammers are using voice calls to steal from unsuspecting members. The attackers make it look like calls are coming from a legitimate source or known phone number. During these calls, they ask you to provide a credit card number, PIN, Social Security number, and/or the security codes on the back of the card. Here are a few steps that you can take to protect yourself:
- Be aware of scams. Scammers target you in several different ways. A current scam involves a call from "VISA" or "MasterCard." The caller claims to be calling from the Security & Fraud Department. Much of your information is already available to the caller. At the end of the call the caller asks you to "verify" the 3 digits on the back of your card. These numbers verify that you have the card in your possession and are the authorized owner. Members First will never ask for any part of your card number when we call you. VISA will also never ask for your card number, expiration date, PIN, or 3-digit security code.
- Protect your information. Never provide credit card information or other private information to anyone who calls you.
- Ask questions. If someone is trying to sell you something or asks for your personal information, ask for identification and a call back number. Verify if they are legitimate. Make sure you call the financial institution or company directly. Look at a statement or go online to obtain a valid phone number.
- Register your number with the National Do Not Call Registry. You can do this by going online to donotcall.gov. While this may not stop all unwanted calls, it will cut back on them.
- Monitor Your Accounts. It's always a good idea to log into your accounts daily or at least once a week. View real time information about your Members First credit card, by enrolling at ezcardinfo.com. Also, monitor your credit card with the SecurLOCK Equip app for iPhone and Android users. For more information, visit mfcufl.org/securlock.
If you already have a credit card with Members First, you know that our personal rewards credit cards are equipped with a robust rewards program that gives our cardholders choices. The choice to redeem your points based on what your needs are at any given time is a valuable benefit. Plus, we’re always looking for new, convenient ways for our members to redeem their rewards.
One of these is the NEW Pay with Points or Premium Payback benefit on scorecardrewards.com. With this benefit, you can pay with your rewards points at CVS® and Walgreens® or use it to pay for qualifying online purchases* at millions of PayPal® merchants globally.
- To enroll in Pay with Rewards on PayPal:
- Register your Members First Visa Credit card at scorecardrewards.com or Log in your scorecardrewards.com account
- Sign up for Premium Payback
- Go to hq.scorecardrewards.com/PayPalPaywithRewards and click ‘Link Card’.
- Log in to your PayPal wallet.
- Click the wallet button on the top navigation menu.
- From the left side navigation menu, select the ScoreCard Rewards card button on “Get Started” where it says “Start Spending your ScoreCard Rewards Points”
- Click on “Agree and Link” on the next page.
- Click on “Done” to come back to the main page.
- To pay with your Members First credit card rewards points on PayPal:
- Click on the PayPal button on the merchant checkout page or the merchant app.
- Log in to your PayPal wallet.
- Select your Members First Visa Credit Card
- Select “Use ScoreCard Rewards points”
- The amount is defaulted to either the total purchase amount or your rewards points amount, whichever is lesser.
- You can click on “Change Amount” to change the amount of rewards points that you want to apply toward the purchase.
- Click on “Continue” once you have selected the amount of rewards points you want to apply toward the purchase.
- You will then be taken to merchant to complete the transaction.
- To enroll in Pay with Rewards on PayPal:
*Transactions that are not eligible for Pay with Rewards on PayPal include recurring billing, in-store transactions, non-U.S. dollar transactions, or peer to peer (send money) transactions.
Don’t Have a Credit Card with Members First? Go here to learn more or apply today.
In accordance with government recommendations, we are taking the necessary steps to keep our branch environments safe for our members and staff. Our branches are currently open during normal business hours with limited access. Branches open on Saturday are currently limited to Drive-thru Only. Plexiglass shields are installed at workstations for your wellness and that of our employees, and the floors at each branch are marked for proper distancing.
If you have banking that needs to get done but don’t want to risk exposure, you can decrease your exposure by using our electronic delivery services:
- Drive-thru Services: With our Drive-thru Services, you can get balance inquiries; update/add your ID to your account; make deposits, withdrawals, and transfers; pay your credit card or loan; cash checks; and more.
- Drive-up ATMs: Enjoy this convenient feature that allows you to withdraw cash from your account without having to get out of your car. View a list of our Fee-Free ATM Locations.
- Convenience Drops: Our Night Drops have been converted to Convenience Drops to be checked regularly throughout the day, allowing you to drop off a deposit or make a payment on a loan without coming into the branch.
- Internet Banking: Pay your bills, transfer funds, make loan payments, check your eStatements, and monitor your accounts from your computer whenever it’s convenient for you.
- Internet Bill Pay: Use the free Bill Pay service to set up payees and manage your bills online.
- Mobile & Text Banking: Mobile Banking gives you on-the-go account access. Move money, pay bills, monitor your accounts, and more with your mobile device.
- Mobile Check Deposit: Mobile Check Deposit enables to you deposit paper checks to your accounts via your Members First Mobile App.
- Online Check Ordering: Running low on checks? Order checks online and have them shipped to your home.
- Digital Wallet Services: Our suite of Digital Wallet Services, like Apple Pay™, Android Pay™, and Samsung Pay®, allows you to quickly and securely pay from your mobile device. Also, as part of our Digital Wallet Services, the CardValet® app (for debit cards) and the SecurLOCK Equip® app (for credit cards) give you control of your card(s) online.
WE ARE STILL HERE FOR YOU!
As we move forward and adapt to our current situation while beginning to transition to a state of normal, we’d like to thank our members for being flexible and understanding through it all. In these times of uncertainty we want to assure you that we are committed to serving you. Our priority is providing you with the best service possible as we continue to work with members who are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19. To learn more about how we can help, please call us at (850) 434-2211.
MEMBERS FIRST CARES
As a local credit union, we are also dedicated to serving the communities in which we work. Members First Credit Union of Florida proudly joined in the #CreditUnionsCareChallenge providing our employees with $25 each and empowering them to support a local business or charity of their choice. Through this program, we were able to contribute thousands of dollars to several local businesses, charities, and random acts of kindness to frontline workers and individuals affected by this pandemic. In the credit union spirit of People Helping People, we also teamed up with eight local-area credit unions, collectively contributing $57,500 to Manna Food Pantries to aid in their efforts of feeding our neighbors in need.
OUR SINCERE GRATITUDE
We would to say thank you to all the nurses, doctors, truck drivers, cashiers, and other essential workers who have been working on the frontlines during this pandemic. We appreciate you. We are also grateful to our very own frontline workers who have been adapting to new working environments at our branches while assisting our members with the standard of service they expect from their credit union. Our employees’ dedication to providing excellent service is valued, especially at this time.
We are beginning to open our branch lobbies with limited access to members. Plexiglass shields have been installed at branch workstations for the safety of our members and employees. We’ve also marked the floors at each branch for proper distancing. Thank you again for your understanding and continued flexibility as we get through this together.
Paying at the gas pump is convenient, especially when you’re in a hurry. But that convenience comes at a risk. Credit card skimmer fraud is on the rise at gas stations. As technology evolves, skimmers are becoming more difficult to detect and most pay at the pump fuel dispensers are still operating with outdated technology. Fuel dispenser merchants are also being targeted in other ways like, point-of-sale (POS) malware attacks with fraudsters gaining access through phishing emails containing attachments with malware. Below are steps you can take against fraud at the pump:
- Investigate the card reader to make sure nothing looks or feels unusual. If something doesn’t seem right, trust your gut, pay inside and report your concerns.
- Whenever possible, use credit, not debit. If a thief is able to steal your debit card information, they have access to your bank account.
- Stop at busy, well-lit and well-maintained gas stations. Also, look for stickers or other signs that the pumps are regularly inspected.
- Check your account daily, especially when traveling. If you suspect suspicous activity or fraud, report it immediately. You can also download the CardValet app (for debit cards) and the SecurLOCK Equip app (for credit cards) to manage your Members First debit and/or credit card on your smart phone. For more information on CardValet or SecurLOCK Equip go to membersfirstfl.org/digitalwallet.
- Fraudsters often launch phishing attacks after a breach to obtain additional information, such as a debit card PIN, or the CVV2 code for online transactions. Remember that Members First will never, email, text, or call you and ask for sensitive, personal information, like your card number, PIN, CVV2 security code, etc. VISA will also never ask for your card number, expiration date, PIN, or 3-digit CVV2 security code.